These pumps operate through intake and discharge fluid, according to the change of space enclosed by the vane and the cam ring.
. Vane pumps run in low to middle pressure ranges, from approximately 7 to 25 MPa (or 1015 to 3626 psi) and they can provide the following advantages:
- Minimised discharge pressure pulsation
- Compact and lightweight for high output
- Less efficiency degradation due to vane ware
- Reliability and ease of maintenance
- Quieter and less susceptible to contamination.
These pumps are categorised into three groups:
- Single vane pumps (at either low pressure, medium pressure, or high pressure)
- Multiple vane pumps
- Variable displacement vane pumps.